Monday, May 27, 2013

I love my city!

As a teenager, I had several opportunities to go on foreign mission trips. I was blessed to serve in Latvia, Poland, The Dominican Republic and Mexico. With each trip, my faith stretched and grew. I cherish the memories of those trips; the work we did, the lessons I learned, the people I met, the sights, the sounds... and even the smells.

 As I've grown, married, and had children, the opportunity for foreign missions isn't as readily available as it once was. However, I still want to be very sensitive to the Spirit's leading to serve others, both near and far.

 One thing I absolutely love about our city is the fact you don't have to go very far to feel like you are serving on a foreign mission field. Our city is home to countless foreign refugees, and is an epicenter of culturally diverse people.

Took a second away from food prep to snap a pic of the Amazing Mister and myself.
Serious Soccer action going on at HBU.
 Our family recently had the pleasure in serving (in a very small way) at the Cup of Nations. Ultimately, the Cup of Nations uses the theme of sports, specifically soccer, to connect the nations and build community. Through soccer, many nations come together to build community and lasting friendships. There were about 20 nations represented at this year's games.

As a Mom to 3 precious little ones, most of my time was spent chasing after my 3 precocious busy bodies.  But it blessed my heart to see so many different people and so many nations represented in such a small space. It brought back wonderful memories of the times I spent in foreign countries ministering to people in their homelands. What a gift it is to serve such culturally diverse people and not have to go too far!

Little double trouble. 
Opening Ceremonies!
Jade, always the great encourager and leader of her younger siblings.
A bounce house all to herself! Such a treat for my sweet, independent girl!
Being silly in the photo booth.
 

No comments: