Monday, February 18, 2013

Adoption

There isn't a specific moment that I can pinpoint to say "That's when we decided to adopt; that's exactly when we knew that's what we were going to do."

As a teenager, I would spend several weeks out of my summers overseas on mission trips. I remember going to an orphanage in Latvia and being utterly heartbroken over the amount of children in need of parents and a family. From that moment on, I kind of had a feeling I would adopt some day.

Years passed, a handsome young man proposed, a marriage began, and shortly thereafter- so did the babies. Between serving in our church, parenting our biological children and life, adoption wasn't on the forefront of our minds. However, in the past year or two, it seems as if we have been surrounded by adoption. From close friends and even acquaintances adopting, to random blogs surfacing about adoption, to reading a best-selling book about a young missionary in Uganda- which unbeknownst to me is also a book about adoption. And so it seemed to begin. Our hearts were opening to adoption.

As time passed, I couldn't get enough about adoption. A friend sharing a video here on Facebook, another friend organizing a 5K to benefit the orphan, adoption books, stories of people adopting.. everything adoption!

Before I knew it, my busy days of mothering my little tot's and filling sippy cups were interrupted with thoughts of.. "I wonder what our son is doing right now." Each tickle fight with a little person would bring such joy at getting to lavish such sweet love on my littles, and yet leave me with a little pang of sadness. "I wonder if our son, wherever he is, has even had so much as a hug today?" At times, I would feel overwhelmingly sad and a little distraught over the thought of our child hurting. (Even though we haven't a clue who he is at this time.) God, in His GOODness, has been so kind to remind me that He is sovereign. That HE loves our child, and that our son isn't forgotten. It is all going according to His plan!

And then something as silly as our schedules and the rhythm of life all slowed a little and opened up. So, next month, we will officially begin our adoption journey. I am so thrilled, and feel almost like I did at the start of each of my pregnancies; a little scared, but mostly excited!

Will you please pray with us?

  • We are required to take a number of classes to be qualified to adopt through the Foster Care system. Please pray for us to learn a lot, for the brave people who will be watching our sweet little Cherubs while we attend said classes, and for the timing of the classes.
  • Please pray that our, including our precious children, hearts would be so tender in loving the child who will be a part of our family. 
  • Pray for us as we start the applications and home study. It doesn't take a whole lot just to have a biological child. But there's a hefty amount of paperwork, interviewing and some inspecting (of your home) before you are approved to adopt. I am a little apprehensive about this. 
  • Please also pray for the funds to be available to adopt. 
Thank you friends!

2 comments:

Jared Rasbeary said...

You make me proud! I love you

Becky Stutes said...

Thank you Carla. Thank you and your family so much. I will be praying for you all!