Friday, September 20, 2013

Keep Calm

(I'm just a girl that loves Jesus who sometimes struggles with living this life following after my Savior.)

I saw this on the good 'ol interwebs today, and laughed for a good few minutes over it. This is so me lately.



Anxiety is an unpleasant state of inner turmoil, often accompanied by nervous behavior, such as pacing back and forth, somatic complaints and rumination.[2] It is the subjectively unpleasant feelings of dread over something unlikely to happen, such as the feeling of imminent death.[3] Anxiety is not the same as fear, which is felt about something realistically intimidating or dangerous and is an appropriate response to a perceived threat;[4] anxiety is a feeling of fear, worry, and uneasiness, usually generalized and unfocused as an overreaction to a situation that is only subjectively seen as menacing.[5] It is often accompanied by restlessness, fatigue, problems in concentration, and muscular tension. Anxiety is not considered to be a normal reaction to a perceived stressoralthough many feel it occasionally.


I am easily excited and can get pretty anxious. I don't necessarily fear imminent death, but I do worry over things and scenarios. I'm anxious about making my plans and having things just so. I'm anxious during the afternoon, timing our day just right to have things accomplished and to pick up our oldest from school. I get anxious while cooking... making sure that all the food is cooked just right, tastes great, and making sure that none of our littles are injured in the process. I get anxious over making plans for the evening. I get anxious over whether everyone is receiving the proper amount of sleep. 
I get anxious over our family's nutrition. I get anxious over.. well.. a lot of things. 

I have a natural tendency to plan, to be prepared, if you will. (Remember this post?) I do believe this is a good thing. I do believe I can use this for the glory of God and to benefit others. My love of planning has enabled me to plan out showers for friends, plan events for our church's women's ministry, be resourceful of our family's income, and just be a help for all other types of things. It's a joy and I count it a blessing to help figure out the details for things.

But what happens when I let my love of planning overtake my life, my thoughts? What happens when all the details of the planning get a bit compulsive and I can't quit thinking of them? Is it good for me to become so anxious over these things that my mind won't stop spinning with different scenarios and my muscles become tense?

No. It is not good. What I am essentially doing is letting my love of planning become an idol. Instead of using what little talent I have in this area be used as a gift to the Church, I have let it get out of control to the point of it becoming a sin. 

There are so many things that we can be anxious about in this world. The worry of whether we will parent our children well. The worry of whether we will ever be parents. The anxiety we feel at the thought of a failed marriage. The anxiety we feel over those who may have sinned against us, or those we may have sinned against. 

I encourage you today, to not be anxious.  Matthew 6, vs 25-34 specifically, speaks volumes to me. How good is the Word of God to speak such Truth into our lives? 

I do not need to worry. I do not need to plan and map out every detail of my life. I do not need to worry over my child who may be living 2 continents over and across a vast ocean. 

My worry and my anxiety shows a stark contrast to the truth I know DEEP in my heart. A truth that resonates in my soul. God cares for me. God LOVES ME.. yes, even ME! I trust God. I know that God, who is Sovereign over ALL and ALL THINGS, cares for me (and all people) far above His other creations. I will rest in this truth. 

I'm praying the same for you. May you rest in the truth that the King of Kings, who is above all, loves and cares for you. He CARES for YOU! May we all run full force into seeking Him and His kingdom. 

Today is enough to handle. Let's let tomorrow handle itself. 

No comments: