Sunday, September 8, 2013

SO MUCH Reading!

So, we've already established my love of reading, yes? If you didn't quite catch onto my undying affection for books from my last post, lemme just clear it up for you. I love books. I love reading books. I love having books. And I love stories.

As we've settled back into our school-time routine here, I've had so much more time to read. It's wonderful. Curled up on the couch whilst my bebes nap, baking in the 400Degree heat of the afternoon car-pool line, sneaking in a few pages while dinner simmers on... my current read is always right there. It's almost blissful.

Now, let the record show.. I love books. Yes, I know I've told you that before. But, really, you should know. I LOVE BOOKS! I love them in almost any shape or size. And the contents of said book don't usually matter too much. Because of my Faith and some strong convictions, I usually try to shy away from certain genres... but give me a bad story-line, and I still love it. Give me a "not-so-well-accomplished-plot" and I still love it. Give me bad dialogue... and by golly, I still love it... or at least, I really like it!

But every once in a while, there is a book that is just fascinating. A real page turner. The kind of book you can't believe you stayed up past 2 a.m. to read.. and yet there you are at quarter-till-4 still reading.

Here are 2 of my most recent "can't put it down" for real page turners:

As my heart for the orphan grows, I can't help but to gobble up (almost) every book on the subject. The Language of Flowers (by Vanessa Diffenbaugh) tells the story of one Ms. Victoria Jones. Victoria spent her child-hood bouncing from one foster care home to the next. The book conveys her story in the present, while filling in the gaps from her past. I found the book to be a beautiful, if not sometimes tragic, representation of what so many children must go through on a daily basis. While Victoria is a fictional character, her life story has helped soften my heart to the many children who are stuck in a limbo. So many whose biological families can't care for them, yet they aren't adoptable for one reason or another. 

Thanks to my Dad, because I'm sure it's totally hereditary, I love history. World War II is a tad fascinating to me. I love watching movies and/or documentaries about it. I love reading about it. I love hearing stories about it "straight from the horse's mouth," so to speak. I came across this little gem of a book thanks to another great blogger's summer reading list. The book recounts the great Louis Zamperini's life. Starting from his mischievous childhood, following him through his early adulthood, and all the way through the war and elder years. The book weaves together the story of Zamperini's life with many a historical fact about the 2nd World War. Because of this, it took a bit to get used to Hillebrand's writing style. But y'all... its good. I mean, like REAL GOOD. And can I just tell you, that when you think you've reached the best part... you haven't! I wish I could just tell you the best part... like RIGHT NOW. But I can't. Just go get the book.. read the amazing story of Zamperini's life!

Now, just don't sit there all selfish! Share your most fav'ed reads! Which books have had you relentlessly turning those pages one after another?

No comments: